Friday, July 22, 2016

Battling Through This Life

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
Ephesians 6: 12

In talking with one of my mentors recently about wrapping up my son's junior year of high school, she reminded me of the Bible verse above.   She reminded me that our "battles" in this world are not against one another, not against our spouse, our children, our friends, relatives, or our neighbors.  The battle is against the ENEMY- God's enemy.   And ultimately, we must submit to God and let Him fight the battle against the enemy for us.  He has already won the battle, we just need to follow our leader, Jesus.  

Just need to follow our leader Jesus...  Wow!  It sounds so simple, doesn't it?  But it's not.  It takes a daily relationship with the Creator and His Son. Thankfully, through relationship with Him I am daily washed in the blood;  I am a sinner, a redeemed sinner, but a sinner nonetheless.  God has provided a daily washing through walking in the light, living like and in Jesus.   Thank you Father God for your provision.

But the battle is ours to fight in our own minds and actions.  We must submit to God's plan.  Submit is a dirty word in our culture; we don't want to be demeaned or disrespected.  And yet, the peace that passes all understanding comes only through submission.   HIS plan works (if we live it.)   

So when my husband is disrespectful to me by "calling me out" in front of our children, do I fire right back at him?   I've been doing that for 22 plus years.   It has not made our marriage strong or peaceful.   The movie War Room began my understanding that my battle has been with the wrong person in my marriage.   My husband is not my enemy; the one who enjoys and creates the strife and unrest between us is the enemy. 

When my children don't comply with my wishes, whether just "not hearing me" or deliberately just not doing what I say to do (is that the same thing?), they are not my enemies.

When my friend or my friend's friend (on facebook) or in real life says something that feels like an  insult or put down, that person is not my enemy.  
When one group of people in society feels abused and neglected....  I guess that's another day's writing.  But, people are not the enemy.

We have one enemy and our battle is with him through the Lord.  Our battle with him is really in our minds, resisting his lies and the chaos and hate that he thrives on us buying into.   

I have been fighting for a long time and I am tired.   I hate when my husband and I have no peace between us.  I hate when my friends feel put down or misunderstood by one another or by me.  I hate when I make stupid comments and lead people to feel like I am not a true friend.   I hate when I mess up!   And that happens often.  This life is hard - balancing work, home, play, school, hobbies, friends, family, church.  It seems it just gets harder when we lose sight of whom the battle is really against.  

I just want to rest from it all for a while.   I want to get quiet and dwell in the peace that passes all understanding. (Philippians 4: 7)  

No comments:

Post a Comment