Friday, October 5, 2012

The Next Step on Our Journey to Homeschooling

I received my boxed curriculum in very short order.  I was excited.  I decorated a school area in our  basement family room.  Each boy had a desk to use and we would read together on our comfy sectional sofa every day.  This was going to be great!

Honestly, I don't remember the details.  We began working on our phonics lessons. We also had a science lesson, social studies, reading, and we read the Bible together each day.  I think we did some sort of math.  The days were busy.  With a four year old and a six year old at home full time, I had my hands full.  Plus, I had a small business to help manage, two teens, my husband, and a home to manage.

Now I must say, I feel like I was born with a book in my hand.  I have loved to read, or be read to, for as long as I can remember.  My favorite part of our days was reading to my young sons.  As my six year old began to learn more sight words, my excitement increased.  It wouldn't be long until he was reading to me!!

I was thrilled when the day finally came when He was reading to me!  I had basically started this adventure with one main goal.  I wanted to succeed at teaching this child to read.  If he can read, he can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone he wants to be in this life.  Mission Accomplished!   Or was it?

As that year went by, he was obviously learning.  He was fine.  He just wasn't excited about it!  He dreaded the school day.  He asked me if we could skip.  This child had loved kindergarten.  So obviously,  this mama was doing something wrong, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment