Friday, February 12, 2016

Perspective is Everything

A few hours ago, my world was white.   We awoke to snow covering the ground and roads and still pouring from the sky.   Beautiful surprise.

My neighbors may have known it was coming; I had no idea.   Not liking to engage in the mass holiday celebrations and long lines at restaurants, my husband and I decided to do our Valentine's date last night.  We had two gift cards from our favorite daughter and son-in-law for a restaurant that is named after the dessert it specializes in.  Okay, I'll name it; we ate at the Cheesecake Factory.   I must say, dessert was the highlight!   But that is an entirely different post.  

After the restaurant, we went by the Redbox and picked up a couple of movies to watch with our teenage sons at home.   Yes, our date nights are HOT!  Right?  Sadly, before the end of the first movie, just before 10:30 pm, I could no longer follow the movie nor keep my eyes open and I went to bed.   But that is also another story.   All this information is simply just to explain that I did not watch the news or know if snow was in our forecast.  I was totally surprised.

I was enjoying watching the snow continue falling and hoped for several inches.  It was so beautiful.  And our poodle was enjoying his frolicking in our backyard so much!  

A couple of hours ago, my seventeen year old asked me if I would go with him to a local store to buy tools  for an auto job he is working on.  I don't like those stores but given road conditions, I decided I should definitely ride along with him.    Happily, there is a grocery store right next door to the store he was going to and I desperately needed to shop for groceries.  So once parked, he went one way, and I went the other.  

But the point to this is actually in the getting there.  I was amazed when we pulled out of our neighborhood and found clear roads everywhere.   As we drove into town, it looked like it was just another rainy day, except it was snow falling from the sky; but it was immediately turning to water on the roads.  

I realized that this mimics my thoughts, attitudes, and mindset.  While in my house, all I could see was snow pouring down and my yard turning white.   And the street in front of my house was covered; there were no tracks through the snow.  Similarly,  I come at life from my upbringing, viewpoints, and preconceived notions about life and people; sometimes I am wrong.  My way of thinking is just that, MY way of thinking; it doesn't mean it is relative to anyone else or their thinking or the way they see the world or any given situation.  


The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 
I Timothy 1: 14 
  This has been part of my learning curve in inner city ministry.  One of the young moms I mentor recently told me that she doesn't always want to hear what my opinion of her situation is  She doesn't always want my advice!    

What?!!  

  She said she will not learn from my mistakes; she is stubborn and will learn from her own mistakes.  That makes me cringe.   If she would only do what I say, and not what I've done, then her life could be better!  But her perspective is that she has choices to make and she will make them based on her thoughts, feelings, and her perspective.

So once again, my choice comes down to grace and love.  I might not agree with her choices.  But Jesus didn't call me to agree with her; He called me to love her.   He poured out His love, redemption, forgiveness, and unfailing grace to me and only asks that I pour it out to others in turn.

And that is the eternal perspective. 

1 comment:

  1. Very insightful. I see two of my girls along the same path (and worse) and I know all I can do is pray they will eventually come back. God is in charge.

    ReplyDelete